Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Watch the Throne

The day was finally here. November 6, 2011. I was going to the Watch the Throne tour. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about Watch the Throne is the name of the Jay-Z and Kanye West collaboration album, as well as the name of the concert tour featuring the two. I purchased tickets in August as a birthday present for my boyfriend, I think I was just as excited about going as he was. After waiting for what seemed like forever, the concert day finally arrived! I knew the two rappers were going to be great live performers, but I never expected it to be that amazing. I opted to purchase floor seat tickets. It was more expensive, but definitely worth it.

The tickets said the show would start at 7:30pm, but to our surprise there was no traffic and not many people waiting for the show to start upon our arrival. After walking around a bit we soon found out that the show did not start until 9pm. We settled into our seats and were impatient with excitement at how close our seats actually were. There were two stages set up: one was a big main stage and the other was a smaller stage in the middle of the floor section, which happened to be right next to our seats. As the hour went by the arena became more and more crowded with fans, and before long the lights were going down and the show was starting!

I immediately got my camera ready, and to our surprise Jay-Z started on the stage right next to our seats! Kanye West then made his appearance on the main stage as the two performed their first song of the night. During the middle of the song both stages lifted the two artists high off the ground while projecting images of wild animals. It was like something I had never seen before, amazing to say the least. The show continued, with the two performing mostly on the main stage, until Kanye West appeared on the stage closest to me around the midway point of the concert.

The two performed songs from the Watch the Throne album as well as their solo albums. One of my favorite parts of the night was when Kanye West performed Heartbreaker. After Kanye finished, Jay-Z stated something along the lines of my hear never gets broken because I'm a P-I-M-P and continued to perform his hit song "P.I.M.P." Mr. West stood to the side listening and enjoying it just as much as the rest of us. Once Jay-Z was done Kanye announced something along the lines of always wanting to live his life in that style, but whenever he tried to he always found a "Golddigger," where he then performed his popular verses. Once completed, Jay-Z responded back with "If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one" where he then continued the verses of his "99 Problems" lyrics. The two went back and forth responding to each other with their lyrics, as if everything from their past albums had been previously planned out to perfectly fit together at this moment.

The show ended with one of the most recent songs by the two artists titled "That Shit Crazy," which was performed in completion three separate times. To say the least, this was one of the best concerts I had ever been to, and I would not hesitate to purchase floor seats if ever given the opportunity to see them live again. Needless to say by the end of the night we all felt as though we were definitely in their zone.


Jay-Z (stage closest to me)


Kanye West (stage closest to me)




Main Stage


No comments:

Post a Comment